Ballymena Primary has achieved International School recognition through the British Council’s International School Award Scheme on three occasions. This scheme provides accreditation for schools which are working to instill a global dimension into the learning experience of all children and young people.
The International Schools Award supports schools to develop the following:
- An international ethos embedded throughout the school
- A majority of pupils within the school impacted by and involved in international work
- Collaborative curriculum-based work with a number of partner schools
- Curriculum-based work across a range of subjects
- Year round international activity
- Involvement of partner schools and the wider community in the UK
Over the past twelve years we have been involved with European Partner schools through the Comenius programme. We have also recently partnered with schools in India and Africa. In addition, the Internet has been used to engage in on-line collaborative projects with schools across the world. Children from many countries including Poland, Romania, Slovakia and the Czech Republic enhance our international understanding.